Top 10 Warehouse Safety Concerns
Warehouse safety is an important consideration in the day to day operation of the warehouse. Although most issues that are warehouse safety related are common sense, there needs to be a formalized procedure that sets out the rules for safety standards. These rules should be monitored and enforced by a safety committee or operations/warehouse manager.
The top ten warehouse safety considerations are as follows:
- 1. Proper worker training for all material handling equipment to ensure warehouse safety
- 2. Proper warehouse safety requires regular inspection of all racking and storage systems by an outside engineer.
- 3. Designated walkways for pedestrian traffic in the warehouse.
- 4. Proper sprinkler as systems as per local bylaws.
- 5. Correct truck docking practices for loading and unloading trailers.
- 6. Enforcement of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
- 7. Appropriate signage helps maintain warehouse safety.
- 8. Procedures for dealing with ‘blind’ corners. Design the warehouse for clear line of sight where possible.
- 9. Minimize full pallet picking with pushcart case picking.
- 10. For mezzanine storage, ensure safe transference of product to and from ground level.